Chloe and Luke arrived on 2/7/11 at 3:44am and 4:11am. Chloe weighed 5lbs 2oz and was 18.5 inches long and Luke weighed 5lbs 11oz and was19.5 inches long.
Birth Story: On Friday, 2/4/11, I was admitted to the hospital with high blood pressure. They ran different tests and lab work on Saturday to see if I could have a c-section on Sunday. Troy was home with Elizabeth while I was at the hospital. So, Sunday morning, Elizabeth went to our friend Hillary's house for a few hours so Troy could come up to the hospital and hear the results with me. Also, because if they were going to do a c-section, it would be pretty quick, so he'd need to be there. Well, the doctor came in and the levels they were looking at were not bad enough to allow them to do a c-section on Sunday. The doctors decided that they would keep me in the hospital until I delivered because I would be 36 weeks on Monday and I was already scheduled for a c-section on Tuesday, 2/15. Also, because my blood pressure leveled out a little better at the hospital, so it was probably better to just stay put. We're so lucky they kept me at the hospital! Troy went home on Sunday and brought Elizabeth back up before the super bowl for a little bit. Then they left and went to a super bowl party for a little bit. Don't worry, I was ok with that, because I needed to rest.
Well, I woke up at 2:45am on Monday morning, 2/7/11, and had to use the restroom. While in the restroom, I had a really strong contraction. Nothing like I had felt before so I went and laid down in the bed to see if they would pass. I had about 7 contractions in 15 minutes, so I hit the nurse button. (I know, I probably should have called before, but this was the first time I was feeling the contractions, so I figured I had to time them.) I probably should have sounded a little more urgent, but when I hit the nurse button, I just casually said, "Um...I'm having pretty consistent contractions." So, the nurse came in, and while she was there I had 2 contractions. She looked a little worried, and called labor and delivery. Then came back in and said a labor and delivery nurse would be in to talk to me because it was pretty normal for me to have contractions at 36 weeks, especially having twins. At that moment, I thought...are these people crazy! They want to talk right now!! These are not false alarm contractions I'm feeling!!! As all this is happening, I'm laying on my left side and have a death grip on the railing of the bed every time a contraction comes on. The labor and delivery nurse is there within a 2 minutes or so, and sees my condition and decides that they should check to see if I'm dilated anymore. (I was a 3 on Friday.) She checks me, and all h*** breaks loose! Seriously, all of the sudden there are at least 5 nurses in my room and they are trying to get the bed ready to move. I think I may have asked what was going on, and they probably said I was going to labor and delivery to have the babies. All I remember doing is saying, "but, I need to call my husband." The nurse just said (in a little bit of a panic) "if you can call while we're moving, go ahead." So, I picked up my phone and just texted Troy: we are having babies now. Then, I remember them rushing me through the halls as fast as they could go (sometimes banging the bed on the doorways). While all this is going on, I'm having these horrible contractions and just holding my legs together as tight as I could because I was feeling the worst urge to push. I do remember, when they rolled me into the L&D room I saw Dr. Spurdon, and I was so relieved! She was the doctor that had taken care of me the day before and I've dealt with her throughout the pregnancy, so I was so happy to see her there. Amazingly, she was already called in for another delivery, and while waiting for the other delivery, they called her to tell her that I was on my way to L&D...she was a little shocked to get that call! We finally get to labor and delivery and they put my bed next to the L&D bed and tell me I have to get onto the other bed. I was a little shocked and didn't know if I could do it, but somehow I did. I got onto the l&d bed and continued to lay on my side. Then, the nurse tells me I have to lay on my back so I can deliver the babies. I was telling her "give me the epidural, just give me the epidural! If I lay on my back, you can't give me the epidural. Please tell me I'm not too late for the epidural." I think at that point, she informed me that I was already at a 10 and we were delivering the babies now. So, I managed to lay on my back and proceeded to tell them that I had to push. Of course, they are telling me not to push yet, they weren't ready. Unfortunately, there was no waiting. I pushed, and heard a nurse scream "Dr. Spurdon, we have a head!" Luckily, the doctor was at the end of the bed and just turned her head and I pushed again and Chloe was out! It was SO fast! Then, she reached in to feel for Luke, and he had gone up as high as he could and was transverse. Meaning, he was laying across my stomach and all she could feel of him was an elbow. So, then I hear, "we're going to the OR...now!"
Again, we're rushing down the halls to the OR and when we get there, they tell me to scoot over to the OR bed. SERIOUSLY! Somehow, I did. I get on the table, and they strap my arms and legs down. Then, they put an oxygen mask on me. So, now, I can't talk to anyone. It took a few minutes before they were ready, and while they're getting ready, I'm having another contraction. I remember a nurse standing next to me, and I'm trying to get her attention saying I'm having another contraction, but I have the oxygen mask on, so it's hard to get anyone's attention and she's just telling me to hang in there, they'll be ready in a minute. FINALLY, they tell me they're going to put me to sleep, and that's about all I remember until sometime that afternoon, I think. So, while I'm knocked out, they do the normal c-section incision to get Luke, but they can't reach him. The doctor has to do another incision on my uterus (not normal) so she can reach him. He was so far up! Apparently, Chloe was more than ready to enter the world, and Luke was quite cozy! I wonder if that's how they are going to be. It'll be interesting to see. So far, it seems they are following their entrance into the world. Oh, meanwhile, Troy didn't get my text message, so he missed everything! I felt so bad for him. The nurse finally got ahold of him at about 5:30 or 6, I think, and told him I had the babies. He was a little shocked. After delivery, I apparently kept trying to get ahold of him, but couldn't. I think I finally did and he told me the nurse had already called. So, he had to get Ellie ready and take her to daycare, then came up to see us. If we would have known the delivery would be so quick, we would have had someone stay with Ellie so he could be with me. But, unfortunately, we had no idea things were going to happen the way they did. He did stay with me at the hospital the rest of the week though.
I was in the hospital until Friday and finally discharged. Dr. Spurdon was really worried about everything that they had to do, so she was being extra cautious. On Monday, the day of the delivery, I was pretty much out of it all day. I remember visitors, and remember trying to talk to everyone, but dozing off in the middle of sentences. It was awful. I know everyone that came up that day was glad to see me a few days later and see that I was ok. I was pretty bad. But, now, we're all home and doing great. The babies are pretty much on the same routine and doing well. They are sleeping about 4 - 5 hours at night, which allows Troy and I to get some decent sleep.
And, here are the much awaited pictures. These are from the past two weeks. I tried to just pick out a few that we've taken, but since I'm catching up, there are quite a few.
Snow on the day I was admitted to the hospital.
Luke and Chloe
Big Sister excited to hold Luke
Family of Five - First family picture
Daddy holding Luke
Chloe in her super cool glasses.
She had to be under the light for one night for slight jaundice.
Mommy with Luke and Chloe
Luke and Chloe
See how tiny! This is Chloe
Luke and Chloe
Chloe and Luke
Luke and Chloe
Ninny and Poppy sent Boy and Girl balloons.
Ellie LOVED them! :) So did we!
Luke and Chloe
Chloe and Luke
Chloe and Luke
First Valentines Day - 1 week old
Great Grandpa Bruce and Great Grandma June with Luke and Chloe
Chloe's first bath
Luke's first bath
Chloe
Luke with Mickey
Chloe with Minnie
How sweet!
Grandma with Chloe and Luke
Grandpa with Chloe
Tiny feet!
Almost every time we give Luke a pacifier, he holds it.
What a smartie pants! ;)
Daddy with his girls!
Such a big helper! Ellie feeding Luke
And, helping Daddy feed Chloe
Big Sister with her little brother and little sister.
It doesn't get any better than this!
Look how little they are!
Ellie "playing" with Chloe.
1 comment:
Looks like you guys are doing great! I don't have time right now to read the whole post, so I'll be back, but I just had to comment on what adorable pictures these are. I think my favorite one is the one with Elizabeth holding both of them. SO precious! Hope all is going well!
Post a Comment