Thursday, January 8, 2009

Poor Benford

So, I had to stay home with Elizabeth on Wednesday and Thursday this week because the babysitter was really sick with a stomach virus. It's a very rare occurrence for her, but it happened. It actually worked out OK though. BECAUSE...yesterday Benny kept coming up to me in the afternoon and wanting my attention more than usual. I kept telling him to get back because I had Elizabeth and didn't want dog hair in her area. Finally about the 3rd time, I happened to notice his paw, and his dew claw was bleeding on his right paw. It wasn't bleeding all over or anything, but it looked bad, and he wouldn't let me mess with it. I called the vet and they could get him in right away, so I took him in. I thought maybe they would look at it, and say oh, he just broke the nail or something, clip it, and we'd be on our way. Instead, they had to put him to sleep, shave part of his hair around the nail, cut the nail back, and give him medicine so it doesn't get infected. I was a little shocked at that, but if you know me and how much I love Benny, you know I told them to do it asap, and didn't worry about the cost. I know...I'm crazy about that dang dog. It drives Troy crazy, but he'd be the same way if that was "his" dog. Anyways, they had to bandage his paw and put one of those collars on him. He didn't sleep good at all last night. Troy finally said (about 3 this morning) "I think the only way he's going to sleep is if you hold him." (I used to spoil Benny and let him sleep in the bed and he would cuddle with me, but now with Elizabeth, he has a bed on the floor). So, I did. We let him on the bed and he laid with me and cuddled. But, it's not easy for ME to sleep with a dog in the bed sleeping like a human, head on the pillow, with a huge collar around his neck! So, anyways...the point of the LONG story is that it was actually good that I stayed home both days. You know I had to take pictures of Benny in his collar. He won't walk on the paw because it feels weird, I think. He acts fine, so I don't think there is anything wrong with it. But, all day he's been moping around and milking the attention. Until dinner tonight...he seemed happy and that's when I took these pictures.



2 comments:

Steve and Mary said...

Yep - those two words, "poor Benford", sum it all up! :) Glad he is ok and it's nothing major, and I know he is loving the extra attention! Hope Ellie gets better soon! You guys enjoy your weekend.

Hussong said...

I know, I know... dogs steal or money when they steal our hearts!