Friday, December 10, 2010

Bed Rest

I've been on Bed Rest since 11/10. Initially it stated on the evening of 11/9. I got a call from my doctor around 4 pm, I was in Target picking up a few things. She tells me that I have protein in my urine which is a sign of preeclampsia. She continues to tell me that I need to pack a bag and go to labor and delivery now. She wasn't sure how long I would be there, but that it could be a few days or the rest of my pregnancy. At that time, I was just 23 weeks pregnant! I was a little upset, to say the least. I couldn't imagine being in the hospital for the rest of my pregnancy. I was also upset because she was worried about me delivering the babies early. At 23 weeks, that made me worry SO much! I couldn't imagine having babies that early...the chance of survival at that age is not really good. She said they were hopeful that I wouldn't deliver the babies until 28 weeks. I wasn't prepared for that at all.

So, I was admitted to the hospital that night. They monitored the babies and my blood pressure, and everything looked ok. I had to do another urine analysis and it came back with the protein levels down. When I initially did the test it was in the 400s, the second time it was 257. Anything under 300, they would let me go home. I was SO HAPPY! I got to go home on Thursday morning, but was put on bedrest. I was ok with that because I didn't want to be in the hospital for several weeks. That would have been really difficult.

Now, I am 27 weeks, will be 28 weeks on Monday, and everything is looking good. I have mild preeclampsia and because of that they are monitoring me very close. With me only being 27 weeks, they just want the babies to stay in and grow...that's the best thing for them. I go to the hospital every Monday and Thursday so they can monitor the babies. They also do lab work every Monday at the hospital. After I leave the hospital, I go to the doctor so they can check for protein. On Thursdays, the doctor's office does a sonogram to check the fluid levels of the babies. Usually every 4 weeks, they do a growth sonogram to see how the babies are growing. As of last Thursday, the babies were weighing 2lbs 1oz and 1lb 14oz, which is pretty much right on with a single baby. Both babies are head down, and fluid levels look great. So, we are REALLY pleased. I'm really hopeful that they don't come before Christmas. The week after Christmas, I will be at 30 weeks and the chances of them not having any major problems, is better. If I can get to 34 weeks, I'll be estatic!!

1 comment:

Diane said...

So you've been blogging since 2008 and I'm JUST NOW finding out about it? I feel so... slow. ha! I've sat here going through every single post looking at all the pictures. It was like watching a time machine of Ellie. Where has the time gone? I'm adding you to my reader and putting a link on our blog so I won't miss anything anymore. :o)

Take care of yourself and get some rest. We're just next door if you need us.